Thursday, June 23, 2011

Craigslist Addiction





So I think I'm addicted to craigslist. Buying and selling things. Aubrey has been asking for a desk ever since we found one for Addie on craigslist. I started looking and came across this little girl's desk that was just begging to be repainted. It was quite a drive to get it, about 45 minutes away, but I saw its potential. The only bummer was that the top, front and sides were actually laminate, which complicated my supposedly simple do-it-yourself paint job. Turns out you can paint laminate and have nice results. I consulted several websites to figure out how to do it. Sanding, primer, paint, then polyurethane. I am so happy with how this desk turned out! It looks perfect in her room, like it was meant to be there.
I found the pink crystal knobs on clearance at Anthropologie for $2.95 each, versus the normal $8 each. Target had darling pink and white polka dot drawer liner.
I left the chair as is, just found a cute fabric and replaced the pad.
I bought the desk and chair for $40 total.
Total cost of materials: $66
Grand total: $106 for this adorable desk and chair
Next up, I just bought an antique chest of drawers for my guest room for $25. Needs some TLC....

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful job! I may have to hire you to help me do Maggie's. I think it is funny that the material on the seat matches the border on your blog.

    ReplyDelete