Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

For the first time, my daughters are really into Mother's Day this year.

First, there was the Mother's Day tea at Addie's school. Tea + 22 kindergarteners singing how wonderful moms are and reading certificates declaring "My mother is as pretty as a red rose'' = lots of crying moms. Then yesterday I told the girls we would be going to Mother's Day Brunch this morning.

That's when the excitement began.

''We have to get mommy a present,'' declared my 6-year-old. And she wanted to use her own money. So we opted to take Mommy shopping so I could pick out a few things. Addie toted her purple and yellow round box full of $7 all the way to the store, plopped it on the counter and announced: ''I am buying this for my mom!''

It was all very cute. She wouldn't let me hold the shopping bag, and when we returned home she insisted that we wrap it up so she could present it to me on Mother's Day. So I wrapped my own gift, with assistance from a 6-year-old, and put a pretty bow on it. Aubrey wanted in on the action too, so we put some cropped pants in a hot pink bag and stuffed some tissue inside. Then they put the packages in their rooms and went to bed.

As I'm tucking Aubrey in, she said: ''Will it be Mother's Day when I wake up, after I sleep?''

Gee, I really hope they are not disappointed. I hope they don't think it's like Christmas.

Turns out, I didn't have to wait long for Mother's Day to begin.

At 3:30 a.m., a small presence hovered over me while I slept. It was a 4-year-old. And she was holding the hot pink bag, ready to present it to me.

Me: ''Aubrey, honey, it's not time to wake up. You better go potty so you don't pee your bed.''

Her: ''I already peed in my bed!!!!''

Yep, she was right. She peed in that bed like a champ. And I had never felt more motherly, stripping sheets and making sure her favorite blanket wasn't wet. Back to bed she went, clutching her gift.

At 5:30 a.m., she was back, but this time was joined by a big sister. They were both holding their gifts, ready to pounce on an asleep mother. I told them they had to go back to bed and couldn't return until the clock read at least 7 a.m. (I must note that my children are great sleepers. They rarely wake up at night.)

One came back at 6:30. I faked asleep.

Then they came back at 7:30, and it was present time! They climbed all over me, smothered me with hugs and kisses and gave me the presents I had wrapped. Aubrey also gave me a small envelope that held a leftover Easter eraser and a miniature bowling ball from a game. Then I got a tray with breakfast: OJ and a blueberry muffin.

It is now almost 7 at night and my 4-year-old wants to know if it is still Mother's Day.

I loved that they were so excited about my special day. And I am still laughing about my 3:30 wake-up call, and my 5:30 one and my 6:30 one. And my 7:30 one.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

I love you girls!



No comments:

Post a Comment